How To Prevent Wrist and Hand Pain
Our hands are probably the most used and utilized body parts of the whole body. We do a majority of our daily tasks using our hands and wrists. One must take care of his/her hands and wrists because the particular area is very sensitive and is used for every type of menial job. Here are some simple tips and tricks for you to avoid hand and wrist pain:
- Stretch your fingers and wrists before and after doing any work like writing or driving. It will ensure that your wrists or fingers do not stiffen.
- After stretching, shake your hands like you dry them off. It will loosen up the ligaments and joints.
- Drink enough water according to your height and weight. Dehydration and fewer electrolytes can cause your hand muscles to cramp.
- Deficiency of Vitamin D and potassium also cause muscle cramps. Ensure that your diet contains enough Vitamin D and potassium.
- Take small rests between doing any activity like sewing or playing any game. These breaks will ensure that your fingers and hands do not stay in the same position and stiffen.
- If possible, you can bring necessary changes to your daily activities and routine. For example, while writing, you can modify your hand’s posture to keep the wrist at ease.
- Put your wrists in a neutral position. The neutral position of the wrists is when the wrist is not bent upwards or downwards and the palm is facing upwards. This position releases the tension in the wrist muscles.
- You can consider wearing Splints while working or sleeping to ensure that your wrists stay in their natural position. If you work with vibrating tools, wear gloves to reduce the vibrations on the wrists.
- Taking care of your posture while doing activities like writing or driving is important. A wrong posture is one of the main causes of muscle cramps.
- Keep your hand muscles busy by moving them around while doing any activity. Moving them will reduce the strain.
- Change your desk or workplace to ensure that your hands do not move in the same manner to reach an object. Move your keyboard, bag, or bottle to ensure a different movement.
- Buy pens with a comfortable grip and smooth nibs for writing for a long time or in an exam.
- If your hand or wrist swells after finishing a job, put an ice pack on it to reduce the swelling.
- When you are exercising, ensure that the equipment you use does not cause sore hand and wrist muscles. Using the wrong equipment puts an unnecessary strain on the hand muscles.
- If you do not feel any improvement even after a couple of days, then consult a doctor. There may be some issue other than normal cramps that might get serious.
Get in touch with North Texas Hand Center, hand specialist Dallas for dealing with hand and wrists pain. Consult with the best hand doctor Dallas in North Texas. Their experienced doctors will help you take care of your hand and wrist muscles and provide the best treatment possible.